Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Recycle any way you know how!

Wow, I'm slacking on my posts! I sometimes wonder who I'm really writing to besides myself lol. So I'm the queen of freecycle. I'm the queen of recycling my own goods as well. I have found a great amount of stuff these last couple weeks.


I've been wanting to decorate, but on our budget it's just not possible. So I freecycle. I get clothes for me and the girls, I get toys, I give away my junk as well. I will be posting a bunch of stuff today I'm pretty sure. I have managed to snag myself a bunch of little country style decor. Wooden heart shelves, wall baskets, door hangers, etc. I also got a HUGE framed pastel painting that barely fit in my car to hang over my "new" couch (bulk trash find). My neighbor is about to give me all her old crafting paints so I can decorate the shelves to my liking. This couch was put on the curb by my new neighbor. Our old couch was just that, old, and CHEAP. Just a note, if you buy furniture from Big Lots, you get what you pay for, seriously. I loved that couch, don't get me wrong. Our love seat is still fantastic, but the couch had been jumped on one too many times and the center of the frame was busted. You would literally sink 8 inches into a hole if you sat even CLOSE to the middle. We had a regular queen size bed pillow in the hole to prevent injury to Ebbie. So out that went when I saw this couch down the street. I walked down there, checked it out. It was a little stained up. But the cushions didn't even have butt dents in them. There was marker on the back cushions. I took them off, looked at the foam inside, no stains. All stains were exterior. I lifted the bottom and checked out under the springs, everything seemed to be in working order, nothing had been lost in the bottom either. There was one cracker under the cushions. I took my vacuum to get any crumbs out, cleaned under the arms where it gives way to the bottom. Took some laundry detergent and scrubbed at the few stains, most of them at least got a lot lighter. I then febreezed the whole thing and let it sit. I went to the store, got a burgundy king size flat sheet and made myself a sofa throw. New couch. It's actually quite comfy! Then I got this great idea. The throw pillows that matched the new couch were kinda tired, like kids had used them to beat each other for way too long. Besides, they didn't match or even coordinate with my other furniture (at this point, nothing matches lol). So I go outside and notice that the fabric on our old couch is still in good condition. Clean, unstained. I gutted the old couch. Took the fabric panels from the sides and back, cut open the cushions and took the stuffing. I will be making my own throw pillows today :)

As I said, you can recycle ANYTHING lol.
___________________________________________________________________

So we got a kitten. His name is Khadgar. He is lovable, great to the girls, and he's helping balance out the hormones in this house. He's been here for 2 days now and I think he's quite settled in. Poor thing lived in a barn before here. He's 4 months old, never been bathed, no shots, nothing. At least he's litter trained.

I gave him a bath using dish soap last night because I read that the "grease cutters" in dish soap kill fleas. Yes, he had fleas. I think he might still have a couple, but not nearly as many. He didn't really like the idea of the bath, but he didn't fight too much. Then again, I mastered a LONG time ago the art of cat bathing. He did, however, let his feelings be known when I was scrubbing around his no no spot where there were a lot of biters. I have a nice gash across the back of my hand. Thank you for your mark of love Khadgar. But he's good otherwise. He loves to play, he doesn't cry all night. He loves to chase things across the computer screen. He actually listens when we tell him no (then waits till we turn our heads). All in all, he's great. I can't wait to find my kitty scissors so I can clip his damn talons. :)



No comments: