Saturday, September 4, 2010

Adventures in Procrastination

I seem to do better under pressure.  Perhaps that is why I procrastinate, and why I do it so well.  I had promised myself that I would make Izzy's birthday cake yesterday and wrap her presents as well.  That way today could be nice and relaxed.  Well, neither happened.  And I slept WAY in this morning.  So we had brunch, Izzy went up for her nap and I've been go go go ever since.  So here's how my afternoon went.

     So, got up at 11-ish (fell asleep on the couch last night, ugh).  Made the girls lunch.  Played around for a bit with them.  Then Izzy had to go up for her nap.  This is when I went into full *mom has too much to do* mode.  I started making the cake.  Then I started making the frosting.  Izzy was very specific about her cake.  Chocolate cake with purple chocolate icing.  Now we all know you can't make brown into purple, so of course, to cater to my baby girl, I got white chocolate.  Here's some pictures:











































So yeah.  She's spoiled.  Both of them are.  When it comes to birthdays, we don't have much to give, but since I'm a lowly stay at home mom, I can at least manage the cake of their desires, as you've witnessed before.  Once the frosting was prepared, I set forth in wrapping the gifts.




I swear it looked like more in the store bags lol.






I finally took a breather about 4 hours into it all.  Then we brought down Izzy, showed her all the wonders that she would enjoy after dinner.










Then we had pizza.... again.  This is 4 times now this week, simply because it's Izzy's favorite food, and I allowed her to pick most of the meals for her birthday week.


But before I get too ahead of myself.... I want to make one thing clear.  I have those little gel icing things so you can do writing on a cake.  Recently, I found Ebbie in the kitchen eating from them.  Sneaky little brat.  So I hid them, up high.  Apparently they got really warm and somewhat separated.  I managed to do the best I could with writing on the cake.  And for reference, if you ever make cake from the side of the Hershey's cocoa dark container, don't expect icing to be pretty.  Here's what I mean.










See the pieces of cake that floated up into the icing? It's a very super soft and super moist delicious cake.  It crumbles super easy, so icing is very tricky.  5 years of making this cake and I STILL can't ice it without the crumbles, but who cares? 










No, it doesn't say 31, it says 3!  But like I said, the gel stuff was oozy.  Like.... say.... runny.  Just look.











In the beginning this was a heart.  I swear.  Izzy didn't seem to notice the catastrophes.  She was thoroughly impressed with the whole purple-ness of it all.  That was enough for me.  Her wish was granted. 














Have you ever seen a dirtier, happier birthday girl? I think not.  Mission accomplished :) Regardless of procrastination.  

No comments: