Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tragically Frugal Times

I have begun a mission. Times are tight for the next 4-6 months. In this time frame, I must purchase birthday gifts, wedding gifts, baby gifts, Christmas gifts, make Halloween costumes, etc. My first major task at hand is the Halloween costumes. And this is why I write today.

So Ebbie wants to be a witch. Nice, simple. Great! However, Izzy wants to be "Alice". Not so nice, not so simple. Ugh. So here is where my dilemma begins. The big "Halloween fabric" sale is going on this week. And I can't go. Period, end of. Not happening. However, luckily, I have a roll of 12 yards of hideous fabric in my closet. It's a brown/maroon paisley monstrosity that I purchased on clearance when I decided it would have to do for my living room curtains. Needless to say said curtains never got made. Now, I can't seem to see any kind of issue in dying this fabric black continuously until the print no longer shows. But dying it blue? Or getting it white? I've been doing some research and have seen the Rit dye color remover, but will this work on this fabric? And will I, then, be able to dye it a nice light blue? Or leave it white for the apron? This is my major dilemma. Any assistance? Is anyone even reading this? PLEASE HELP! (lol)

Hopefully, I will be able to craft up something special for a baby shower and wedding gift. And hopefully, I will be able to do that with a little discount yarn. And hopefully, Santa will be extremely generous this year and I won't have to pay a cent out of pocket (but somehow I don't see that happening). Perhaps, this is all a valuable life lesson so that I can learn to be more thrifty and actually have money in savings. Now there's a noble thought.

My very first task, even though I'm technically working on the costume situation, is Izzy's birthday party this weekend. And looking into the face of good ol' hurricane Earl, this could get interesting. I'm making her a dark chocolate layer cake with white chocolate icing. But the icing will be purple, per her request. She'll have a few gifts to open, and a ton of ice cream to make a mess with. And as long as Earl stays at bay, or at least allows us to keep our power on, these plans are full steam ahead. Once this weekend is conquered, I'll be moving on to the more tedious tasks. And as the days go by, I have a feeling I may be blogging A LOT more, simply to vent, or to at least get my thoughts out into cyber space in hopes that someone will have pity on me and explain all this to me in a way that a 5 year old would fully understand.

So keep your eyes open, cause something tells me there's going to be a lot of blogging going on soon.

No comments: