Thursday, September 11, 2008

Day 1, pieces for underlay are cut out






Ok, so here's what I've got so far. I have the front to the top of the dress, the back to the top of the dress and the 2 halves of the skirt part. I need to go and buy some elastic and a zipper, but other than that, the underlay is ready to be sewn! And I THINK I did a pretty good job doing freehand. I can only hope that it sits right, but something tells me that I should have curved the edge of the skirt upwards at the outside/seam edge because now that I think about it, its' going to dip down at the seams. But that can be all fixed with a quick re-measure and a snip of the scissors, so no big deal. Better to have cut too far down than to have not cut enough and be screwed :)




That's the front of the top, freehand sketch. Not too bad if I do say so myself. I MIGHT actually be good at this LOL. Or I might have just got lucky :)



























Then there's the front and back cut out and pinned. They are folded in half in case you are wondering. Makes for good measuring so I hear.









This is both halves of the skirt part stacked. Like I said, I do believe that I should have tapered that right corner on the bottom up to maintain an even hemline. I'll measure it all out and get it right tomorrow while the munchkin is enjoying her first day of school .




Here's all the pieces.




Like I said. Basically, this is the underlay of the dress. Maybe. I know the skirt is gonna have the swoopy things on the right and left sides like most standard "princess" dresses do, but I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to detail the top much and if so, then what with. I do, however, have a lace sash of sorts that I'm going t sew around the waistband once I get the elastic and zipper in, just to cover the elasticized waist. If the munchkin likes it enough, she can wear it again next year lol. I have it measured right now to be down to her ankles, so unless she hits a massive growth spurt (doubtful knowing my gene pool), then she would be ok to wear it again next year. So this concludes my fun for the day. I've fried my brain the max fixing this up this way and that and doing the mathematical figures to ensure correct seamlines and measurements. As I said, this is gonna be a blast. Keep your fingers crossed that I'm not a total moron with the sewing machine LOL.

No comments: