Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rain and wind and puddles OH MY!

So we have the famous Nor'easter coming through right now. Wind gusts up to 50 mph, rain falling sideways, idiots on the road. Everything you would expect with a tiny little storm. I don't know about everyone else, but I used to think people in Cambridge were crazy drivers. Being here, I don't understand their logic! Example: We live RIGHT across from the school. I literally pull out of my driveway, make a quick left, quick right and bam, right at the school. I can stare at the front doors of the school from MY front door. So yes, it's pouring out, Ebbie only has an umbrella, no raincoat. Izzy is still sick. I decide I'll just jump in the car and drive her over since I have to sign her in to her program every day. I get in the car and look to my right down the road and traffic is backed up past the stoplight, around the corner onto the main road. What?? What happened to all the kids that ride buses? I know the kids from my development have to walk, i can understand that traffic. But why are people coming from everywhere else? Why are your kids not on buses? Not to mention, the special service they seem to NEED to do at this school. If you drop your kid off, no need for you to get out, get your kid out, etc etc. Pull up, they open the door and get your kid into the school. Nice. Not really. They have 2 people, 2 pull up spots. These people also want to converse, in the pouring rain, with the parents and hold up a HUGE line of traffic. Ebbie's program starts promptly at 8:30. The door gets locked at 8:31, if you are late, you have to go to the admin office, explain why you are late, sign your child in there, go through the interior door to the classroom, sign them in again there, then walk them over to the main school to meet up with the class for breakfast. They are incredibly particular. I left my house, my home that is only a 5 minute WALK to the school, at 8:10. I got her into her class at 8:28. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Needless to say, I believe a lot of the kids at the main school were late this morning, as there was still an incredibly long line of cars trying to get into the school at 8:35, which is the late bell time at the main school. Virginia is for ....... idiot drivers.

___________________________________________________________________

Today, due to weather, I have nothing I can do outside. I can't clean the floors, well, because it's raining and my stupid roof is leaking. A leak they told me was fixed long before I moved in. I've watched a bubble of paint increasingly get larger over the months. Dave (supervisor of the maintenance crew) says to me, "It appears it's just the drywall tape pulling away, lets poke a couple holes in it and see if it leaks when it rains in a couple days." Dandy. I hadn't noticed this morning, but my ever observant Ebbie did. "Mommy, did you spill water in the floor?" "No, why?" "There's a puddle in the floor, is it raining inside?" "There's a WHAT?" Yep. There's a puddle in the floor, and wow, would you look at that, it's RIGHT under that 'loosened tape'. Go figure. So I called the office, told them to get in contact with Dave, tell him to get his caboose over here to witness that, yes, my roof is leaking. And I'm not as nice as my neighbors. They WILL have it fixed within the next week or I'll be calling my dear old Daddy to come on down for a visit to fix it for me and to make sure to charge a good labor amount because it will be done CORRECTLY, and then I'll happily pass that bill on to housing. My mom should be proud of my bitch level these days :)
___________________________________________________________________

So I'm going to take a wonderful picture of this baby/toddler blanket that I've been working on since April for my baby cousin Emma. My plan, since I can't lounge outside and eat bon bon's Peg Bundy style, is to work on this blanket ALL day. If I do that, there's actually a chance that it could be done today. Really. Wouldn't that be great? Then I could begin finishing the afghan I started making for Ebbie 2 1/2 years ago. That one, you will need to see a picture of. It's actually very detailed, so I've moved really slow on it to ensure that I don't mess anything up. It has twisted stitches, cables, knots, slipped stitches. The whole nine yards. It's actually quite beautiful. If I could ever get to power knitter status, I would make these by the dozens and sell them for $50 a piece. I'm fairly certain that price is actually rather low and they would sell like hot cakes.

No comments: